Wednesday, February 25, 2009

LAMINATED WOOD FLOORING


Over the years I’ve used various brands of laminated wood flooring for my residential and office projects. I’ve encountered various problems with the planks , even from well known brands. At times I wanted to give up using laminated wood even though it can make a drastic change(upgrade) a room’s ambiance,aesthetically pleasing, easy maintenance and most importantly it’s a much cheaper solution than solid wood. After some research (investigation, rather) , I’ve discovered that the imported ones esp from C#i@a (usually cheaper),are not suitable for use in our climate (esp ground floor) due to the type of wood that they use(walaupun buatannya guna german teknologi jugak, tapi bukan guna tropical hardwood). Ada yg renggang , timbul, kembang bila kena air sikit, kena makan anai2(termite)…memang sakit hati esp bila client dah spend beribu ringgit . Of course they blame us for suggesting to them.

Sebenarnya ada kilang buat laminated wood planks ni kat Malaysia (I know one in Mentakab ) .The factory produces laminated wood using tropical hardwood and also supplies to a few named brands (I’m not promoting only one brand, ok?)So next time you go to a flooring supplier, please request for a locally produced laminated wood flooring (tak kiralah brand apa pun, as long as they use tropical hardwood). Another tip is that if you have heavy furniture, please go for thicker planks (12mm).Even though they cost double from the 8mm ones, you will not regret later. Finally, please don’t hesitate to remove your existing tile skirting and replace with the laminated wood skirting as it will provide better grip for your flooring planks.Thank you :)

4 comments:

aishah said...

Thank you for sharing :D

AUNTIDA said...

Hi, Juli, very nice and valuable blog. Sayang, I just finished renovating my apartment (after many2 months) and didn't know your blog, otherwise I could have benefited a lot from your various postings.

I actually installed the 12mm laminated flooring for my bedroom and living room. So far it looks sturdier than the one at my friend's. Hope they last though.

I'll definitely visit here often!

Bye.

kak juli said...

thanx ida. smart choice to use the 12mm. just take extra care at the area adjacent to bathroom /window/door.

aziezoul said...

Very good tips