Friday, March 6, 2009

HOOKED ON IGOR

My weekday morning routine from 8am -9am is to meet up with Igor. With my morning coffee , a pencil and sketch pad , I’m glued to the old sofa for the next hour. Dressed in dusty overalls with a sledgehammer at hand, Igor is my dream handyman from the tv show “Restaurant Makeover”(Channel 703 AFC).

The show is about a selected restaurant interior renovation that involves makeover of both the interior décor of dining area and kitchen /menu upgrade , where a top interior designer and a renowned chef are assigned to assist in each project. The show will match the owner’s budget dollar for dollar eg. Owner’s budget 15K , they will do renovation worth 30K.

“Restaurant Makeover” is one of many interior design and cooking tv programs that I regularly watch. What makes the show different is of course Igor (and his team), the celebrated handyman / demolition man / builder whose one man skill is beyond comparison to the local construction workers that I’ve ever worked with. Despite his occasionally cynical remarks towards the designers’ designs (which I can sometimes agree with him, not always though, since he is not a designer), I would rather work with someone like Igor (in a million years) than all the over-confident –yes I can do all- cheaply - builders in the local market.
However I wish I have someone like Igor, I am quite content with Mr W the carpenter, Mr A the tiler , Mr P the painter, Mr H the skim coat / plasterer and Mr T the wallpaper installer whose been loyal working with me for the last 5 years. I hope they’ll be there for me forever. As for now, all 5 of them, minus the sarcasm, summed up equals one Igor…..

Note to self: A good design is useless without a good builder (repeat 100x)

No comments: