Wednesday, June 3, 2009

GALERIALAM IN NST

Self-made Webpreneurs

NST- Tech&U 1 JUNE,2009
by Rozana Sani and Siti Syameen Md Khalili

WHENEVER a potential client requests to see her portfolio, Juliana Abdul Rahim points them to her blog at www.galerialam.blogspot.com, which showcases her interior design and architectural services business.

For Juliana, the Web is key to her over-a-decade-old venture as it is one of the main channels for clients to get acquainted with her style. It is also one of the platforms for engagement and discussion. Some 16 years ago, as a graduate architect, Juliana worked in a few firms in Langkawi and Kuala Lumpur. She was last employed in 1997 in a small architect firm in Kemaman, Terengganu.

“Due to financial problems the company faced, I was one of the four retrenched... and I was four months’ pregnant. At first, I thought I could do with the much-needed rest. But later I felt the loss– half of the family’s income gone... but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise,” she shares.


After having given birth in April 1998, Juliana tried to pick up the pieces by working for another architect firm, but it only lasted a month. This was followed by “experiments” in other professions, but she was floored by a number of reasons – not least, a new baby needing care and attention and Juliana’s interest in interior designing.

“Finally, I bought myself a computer and started designing. My first few clients were my husband’s friends who commissioned me to draw up their house plans and do some small renovations. It was difficult financially, more so when my husband also left his job of 12 years in 2001 to venture into interior design with me,” she says.


At first, Juliana thought the biggest challenge she faced was having no money to set up and operate a company. “But later I realised that the biggest challenge was actually myself. I discovered that I had to be strong and motivated at all times and the discipline to juggle between work and home,” she says.



Juliana’s husband managed to get a few projects and the profits were used to run the company.

“The business has its ups and downs, but I’m satisfied with the results. Although I had never thought of myself as an entrepreneur, I will now never leave this for a nine-to-five job,” she says.

No comments: